10HzInteractive InstallationKenny Wong20111.2m X 1.5m X 2.2m
Traveling past an avenue of trees on a bus ride, you can feel that sunlight is flickering on your face, projecting vivid colors even with your eyes closed.
I extend this daily experience into a deep exploration. In this project, 10Hz, where the device stimulates the viewer’s Alpha Brain Wave by both light and sound through the use of tuning forks. Illusionary vision and sound are unleashed in your brain. It also explores the artistic potentialities and the playfulness of Alpha Brain Wave beyond therapeutic purposes.
10Hz is immersive machine that would bring you to an altered state. When the tuning forks surround your head, audience is invited to relax and let go, and let the light and sound frequencies to stimulate your brain. 10Hz is an analogue mechanical device that simulates audience physically. Under the immersive environment, the machine is gradually connected with your unconscious; which break down our separation between subject and object. The interactivity is the dialog between tuning forks and the brain.
You are invited to close your eyes. By going up with the lifting chair, your head is being surrounded by a rotating platform with 30 tuning forks. In 10Hz, the flickering rate and binaural beats stimulate your Alpha Brain Wave.
Flickering Stimulated Vision:
Supernatural colors, patterns, moving geometrical shapes, scenes, and hallucinations
Rotating platform with 30 tuning forks, each with 2 prongs alternately blocking the spotlight to create flickering effects, similar to the experience we have on a bus ride with avenue of tree described above.
Physical and Illusionary perceived sound:
Oscillating waves (Pulsation)
Tuning forks with 512Hz and 522Hz are put on the platform, triggered by the 4 hammers. Oscillating waves are heard instead of pure frequencies. When they are placed close to one another, interference beats of 10Hz physically occur. However, when the forks pass through your ears separately, binaural beats of 10Hz will be produced as an illusion created by your brain.
The combined experience is a illusionary experience by the unique design of the device. The lifting chair, the tuning forks become the unique factors of the stimulation.
- Gold Award of Interactive Media Category in the 16th Hong Kong Independent Short Film and Video Awards (ifva) Festival.
- 2011 - Art East Island, Studio 52, Pure Art Foundation, Hong Kong
- 2011 - the 16th Hong Kong Independent Short Film and Video Awards (ifva) Festival, Hong Kong Arts Center
- 2011 - XII School of Creative Media Graduates’ Showcase 2011, Room 502, Fotan
- 2011 - CityU Information Day 2011, Creative Media Centre, CityU
- 2011 – Speaker, Dorkbot-HK #3, Videotage
- 2011 – Guest Speaker, lecture of Installation Fundamentals, School of Creative Media, City University
- 2011 – ”尋求對話的創作“, (Issue 117, Oct), Cup Magazine
- 2011 – “聲光掠影 ﹣科學與藝術的結合<<10Hz>>”, June 2011, CULTaMAP
- 2011 – “過來人，過來談“, Milk Vol.533 Oct 2011, Milk Magazine
- 2011 – 創意媒體新啟視 What A Beautiful Mind, 25th May 2011, Oriental Daily News
- 2011 – 獨立短片賽 城大奪8獎, 25th May 2011, Ming Pao Daily News
- 2011 – 拍外婆短片 城大生ifva金獎, 25th May 2011, Sing Tao Daily
- 2011 – 拍片反思敬老 城大女生奪金獎, 25th May 2011, Wen Wei Po
- 2011 – Record-breaking ifva haul for creative media students, 25th May 2011, CityU NewsCentre
- 2011 – 本土最年青創作力量 ﹣專訪得IFVA獎者, Issue 2, Delta Zhi, AMCNN
- 2011 – 同遊光影中, (Issue 111, April), Cup Magazine
GalleryDorkbot-HK #3, Videotage
- Wong Ching Fat
- Hector Rodriguez