][LIMINAL][Video Performance / InstallationKenny Wong, Marco De Mutiis2013
][LIMINAL][ employs a swarm of hacked semi-autonomous flying drones equipped with loudspeakers to create a series of performances and an installation on the topic of relational anxiety of inhabiting spaces.
We keep on creating and occupying spaces in our unconscious daily movements. In a massively compressed urban space like Hong Kong we constantly find ourselves reaching for the smallest available spots to advance through crowds. We try to achieve the highest mobility in a limited volume.
This creates a space that lies in a constant negotiation between temporary presence and absence, a tension embodied in in-between spaces. ][LIMINAL][ aims at enhancing this tension while simultaneously creating an awareness of these transient intermediate states. The project will employ flying drones that will perform in selected places, exploring the spaces and the way we occupy them.
The flying drones will concretize and sonify the instability and anxiety of these mutating spaces. The sound of this army of quadcopters, filling the air with a sense of uneasiness, will be matched by the soundscape generated through their loudspeakers. These sounds will be composed specifically for each location, with the purpose of enhancing the existing soundscapes: air-cons, humming noises of an alley and mechanical textures in industrial areas.
- 2013 – ＂][LIMINIAL][＂(with Marco De Mutiis), grantee of Bloomberg Digital Arts Initiative 2013, Hong Kong Youth Arts Foundation / Bloomberg
- 2016 – BIAN 2016 | AUTOMATA – International Digital Arts Biennal – Montreal, Canada
- 2014 – ISEA 2014, 20th International Symposium on Electronic Art, Dubai, UAE
- 2014 – The International Festival of Digital Arts and New Media, Athens Video Art Festival, Athens, Greece
- 2013 – “][LIMINAL][” (with Marco De Mutiis), K11 Art Space, Hong Kong
- 2013 – ][LIMINAL][ Interview, Randomartzine, 4/11/2013
- 2013 – “Art show using footage from drones opens at K11 in Tsim Sha Tsui“, South China Morning Post
- 2013 – “Something new: Watch out!“, Post Magazine, South China Morning Post
- 2013 – “刻下生命中的半秒 － ][LIMINAL][ 展覽”, Arts News(藝頻),15/10/2013
- 2013 – 空間．人群．聲音—][Liminal][ , Arts News(藝頻), Fri, 11/10/2013
- Dewei Charitable Foundation
- Hong Kong Youth Arts Foundation
- K11 Art Foundation